The first day of school is full of excitement for students, parents, and educators alike. In an average year, it may also bring some anxiety…but as we know, this year is far from average. The beginning of this school year is unlike any other. Navigating back-to-school challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic is especially complicated for those who have severe allergies and asthma and are returning to in-person learning environments.
Recently our partner, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America joined us for a special LIVE Healthy Hour. We discussed: Back to School: Creating a Healthy Environment for Students and Staff with Asthma & Allergies. Kenneth Mendez, President and CEO of AAFA answered your questions and alleviated concerns and fears regarding the school year ahead.
When students and school personnel who have allergies and asthma leave the safety of their homes to return to school, they generally take certain precautions to help reduce the risk of triggering an asthmatic or allergic reaction. Now, during COVID-19, leaving home and prepping for the school day will require new and additional safeguards.
AAFA and Kenny shared some valuable resources to help you prepare for the school year ahead:
- COVID-19 and Asthma Toolkit for Schools
- Helping Students Manage Asthma in School
- How COVID-19 Could Affect School Health Care Plans for Asthma and Allergies
- What Forms Do You Need for School If Your Child Has Asthma?
- Keeping Students with Food Allergies Safe at School
- COVID-19 Guidelines for Schools and the Impact on Kids With Food Allergies and Asthma
- Understanding How COVID-19 Could Affect School Health Care Plans for Food Allergies
- The School Forms You Need Before Your Child with Food Allergies Starts School
Through our partnership with AAFA, MedicAlert is excited to announce the launch of our Digital Asthma Action Plan. Having an up to date Asthma Action Plan is an important safety step for anyone who has asthma. MedicAlert has added a digital version of the plan to the online health profile available to MedicAlert members. You can now update, download or print your Asthma Action Plan directly from your MedicAlert account.
MedicAlert Foundation thanks Kenny and AAFA for helping our members navigate this challenging new environment. Learn more about our partnership with AAFA.