Eggs-traordinary California Avocado Breakfast Muffins
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle seasoning (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a standard-sized non-stick mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine tomatoes, spinach, avocado, salt, pepper and optional chipotle seasoning.
- Spoon two tablespoons of vegetable and avocado mixture into each mini muffin cup.
- Beat eggs and egg whites together in a separate bowl.
- Pour eggs over the vegetables until about a little more than three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle egg muffin mixture with cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until eggs spring back to the touch.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces.
Apple Streusel Muffins with Maple Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 ounces spelt flour (about 1 cup)
- 2.5 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon water
Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare streusel, combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; set aside.
- To prepare muffins, weigh or spoon 5 ounces spelt flour and whole-wheat pastry flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and egg in a bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in apple. Divide batter among 12 paper-lined muffin cups; top evenly with streusel. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon water in a bowl; stir until smooth. Drizzle evenly over muffins.
Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- 2 cups old- fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbs white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch square pan.
Combine oats, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Whisk milk, eggs, canola oil, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl. Stir egg mixture into oats mixture until well combined; set aside until flavors blend, about 20 minutes. Spread oats mixture into prepared square pan.
Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown, about 30 minutes.