Spicy Sausage with Chicken and Kale
- 1/4 pound loose pork sausage
- 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Pinch each of red-pepper flakes and ground cumin
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Heat a dime-size amount of olive oil in a skillet on medium.
- Add 1/4 pound loose pork sausage and 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped. Cook, stirring, until the meats brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 minced garlic cloves and a pinch each of red-pepper flakes and ground cumin.
- Add 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth and 1 cup chopped kale; cover and simmer till the greens wilt and the meats cook through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season to taste.
Italian Seafood Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, diced (reserve the fronds)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz)whole peeled tomatoes
- 12 oz clam juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup red wine (pinot noir) 2 bay leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb firm white fish, such as halibut or cod
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 16 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Add the fennel, onion, garlic, fennel seeds, and red-pepper flakes and saute until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly crush the tomatoes with your fingers (careful: juice may splatter from inside them) and discard the remaining tomato juice from the can. Add the tomatoes to the pan, along with the clam juice, chicken stock, wine, bay leaves, and thyme, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, taste, and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Place the fish, shrimp, and mussels in the pan. Cook until the fish is firm, the shrimp are pink, and the mussels are open, about 5 minutes. Serve with the reserved fennel fronds for garnish.
Slow-Cooker Squash Lasagna
- 2 10- to 12-ounce packages frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 32-ounce container ricotta
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach (6 cups)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles (about 3/4 of a 16-ounce box)
- 8 ounces mozzarella, grated (about 2 cups)
- green salad, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mix the squash and nutmeg. In a second bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- In the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, spread ½ cup of the squash mixture. Top with 3 of the lasagna noodles (breaking to fit), half the remaining squash mixture, 3 lasagna noodles, and half the ricotta mixture; repeat, ending with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.