Panko-Crusted Chicken Nuggets
Pack in your child’s lunch box with their favorite veggies and dipping sauce.
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- Ranch, honey mustard or barbecue dipping sauce, optional
- Carrot, cucumber, or celery sticks, optional
- Whisk egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Soak chicken pieces in egg mixture while you gather the remaining ingredients.
- Meanwhile, in another shallow bowl, combine panko with paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper, to taste. Set a rack on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Lift chicken from buttermilk, letting excess liquid drain back into the bowl. Then dip into panko and turn to coat on all sides.
- Carefully place chicken in oil and cook until they are golden brown and crispy and cooked through, about 5 minutes each side. Transfer chicken to the rack to cool. Place in a sealed container.
For additional information on this recipe including nutritional facts, click here.
The Cafeteria Club
- 1 oz. oven roasted turkey breast
- ½ oz. low sodium ham
- 1 slice crumbled center cut bacon
- 1 tbs guacamole (substitute instead of mayonnaise.)
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 lower sodium part-skim mozzarella stick (cut into fourths)
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
For additional information on this recipe, click here.
Easy-to-Make Apple Chips
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp white sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 225° F
- Arrange apple slices on a metal baking sheet
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl; sprinkle over apple slices.
- Bake in the preheated until apples are dried and edges curl up, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer apple chips, using a metal spatula, to a wire rack until cooled and crispy.
For the additional cook’s notes on this recipe, click here.
Banana, honey and cinnamon muffins
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- 2 cups oatmeal
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup raisins
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients until moist. Mixture should be gooey and sticky.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Flatten to desired thickness and shape, as cookies WILL NOT spread on baking.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
For nutritional information on this recipe, click here.