Each year, the late fall and winter season welcome the challenge of warding off a multitude of colds and flus that spread around our homes, schools, the workplace, shopping cart handles, and essentially everything we come into contact with throughout the day.
If you have been one of the lucky ones who have avoided sickness this winter, take the following actions to protect yourself throughout the final weeks of this cold and flu season.
Tips for Everyday Preventative Actions to Stop the Spread of Germs
- Avoid close contact with sick people as much as possible.
- If sick with flu-like symptoms, don’t go into work to avoid infecting those around you.
- Always cover our nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it and immediately wash your hands.
- Always wash your hands with warm water and soap throughout the day.
- Keep disinfectant spray on hand both at home and at work to clean objects that may be contaminated with germs.
- When opening doors in public, try to use a paper towel, tissue or something else to keep from coming in contact with germs.
8 Must-Haves for Your Cold & Flu Survival Kit
Do you feel like you clean, disinfect, wash your hands obsessively, and yet somehow the cold and flu season still invades your home? With the last weeks of winter upon us, ensure you are fully stocked with supplies for the inevitable last chance cases of the fever, sore throats, and runny noses.
Make sure your shopping list includes items to have on hand during the final wrap of winter including:
- Tissues with aloe to help prevent dry and sore noses
- Disinfecting spray and/or wipes (Make sure it kills 99% of germs and use according to directions so it’s most effective.
- Ingredients for your favorite Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe.
- Plenty of fluids (especially water and Pedialyte or others containing electrolytes).
- Tylenol (also include a bottle of infant or children’s Tylenol if you have little ones around).
- Good food options for upset stomachs such as: orange juice, bananas, crackers, rice, applesauce, bread, and Chicken Noodle Soup.