Sensational Sirloin Kabobs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 4 fluid ounces lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
- 2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces skewers
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 fresh pineapple - peeled, cored and cubed
- In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, light brown sugar, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, seasoned salt, garlic pepper seasoning, and lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage. Reserve about 1/2 cup of this marinade for basting. Place steak in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Cover with the remaining marinade, and seal.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add green peppers, and cook for 1 minute, just to blanch. Drain, and set aside.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Thread steak, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pineapple onto skewers in an alternating fashion. Discard marinade and the bag.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook kabobs on the prepared grill for 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. Baste frequently with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Barbecued Lime Shrimp and Corn
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ears corn, each cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups cooked couscous
- At home, combine the first 9 ingredients in a heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Place the corn, shrimp, and couscous in separate heavy-duty zip-top plastic bags, and seal bags. Place the shrimp in cooler.
- At campsite, place lime mixture, corn, and shrimp in foil oven bag. Place directly on hot coals (or in a 450° oven if at home); cook 10 minutes. Serve over couscous.
Grilled Maple Pork Chops
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (1-1/2 inch thick and 12 ounces each)
- In a small bowl, whisk syrup, vinegar, salt and pepper until blended. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork chops; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour. Reserve remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain pork chops, discarding marinade in bag. On an oiled grill, cook pork chops, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 13-17 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145°, turning occasionally and basting with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.