Finger-lickin’ Barbecue Chicken
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 3 - 4 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 1 1/2 cups dry sherry
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can tomato puree
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons light-flavored molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Place chicken in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, in a medium bowl stir together sherry, onion, lemon juice, bay leaves, and garlic.Pour over chicken; seal bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Cover and chill chicken until ready to grill.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan combine the reserved marinade, the tomato puree, honey, molasses, salt, thyme, red pepper, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups
- Remove from heat; remove bay leaves. Stir in vinegar
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place chicken pieces bone sides down, on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, brushing with some of the sauce during the last 15 minutes of grilling. [For a gas grill, preheat grill.
- Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. To serve, reheat and pass the remaining sauce with chicken. Makes 6 servings.
For nutritional information on this recipe, click here.
Chipotle Seasoned Potatoes
- 3 lbs. red potatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp. chipotle seasoning
- Slice potatoes into quarters.
- Toss potatoes into large bowl with chipotle seasoning and olive oil and stir well.
- Place potatoes on a large sheet of foil and grill over medium to high heat for about 30-35 minutes.
- Turn potatoes in the foil 1-2 times while cooking.
Stuffed Grilled Zucchini
Prep Time: 25 min
Grill Time: 10 min
- 4 medium zucchini
- 5 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tbs. finely chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs. minced fresh mint
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbs. grated parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving ¼ inch. Shells.
- Brush with 2 teaspoons oil; set aside. Chop pulp.
- In a large skillet, saute pulp and onion in remaining oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add breadcrumbs; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, mint and salt. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Grill, covered over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
For nutritional information on this recipe click here.