6 out of 10 people with Alzheimer’s or other related dementias will wander. It is very common for a person living with dementia or Alzheimer’s to wander and become lost; many will do so repeatedly.
MedicAlert Foundation understands how distressing this statistic is for both loved ones and caregivers; which is why MedicAlert has partnered with the Alzheimer’s Association and local law enforcements to provide 24/7 Wandering and emergency response service, aiding in the safe return of your loved one.
Unlike that of any other emergency medical ID providers in today’s market, MedicAlert offers a full suite of 24/7 Emergency Response Services to further enhance our MedicAlert® + Safe Return® program.
**The MedicAlert® + Safe Return® program has a 98% success rate
How does the MedicAlert® + Safe Return® program work in an emergency/wandering situation?
1) Missing Individual is Reported: If an individual with Alzheimer’s or a related dementia wanders and becomes lost, caregivers can call the MedicAlert emergency response line to report it.
2) Community Support Network is Activated: A community support network will be activated, including local Association chapters and law enforcement agencies, to help reunite the family member or caregiver with the person who wandered.
3) Individual is Found and Reunited with Loved Ones: If a citizen or emergency personnel finds the member, they can call the toll-free number listed on the member’s ID jewelry. MedicAlert + Safe Return will notify the member’s listed contacts, making sure the person is returned home.
Why choose an alzheimer's/dementia medical ID from MedicAlert?
● Emergency responders and medical professionals are trained to recognize MedicAlert medical IDS. MedicAlert’s 24/7 contact number is engraved on all medical IDs, as a means to provide immediate health and personal identification information in emergency situations.
● Once a MedicAlert trained specialist has provided information from the person’s electronic health record; the specialist will immediately notify the member’s emergency contacts and inform them of the location and treatment status of their loved one.
● In addition to our 24/7 wandering assistance service, MedicAlert + Alzheimer’s Safe Return® membership includes a free Alzheimer’s medical ID with enrollment.