Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Pie
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cold lard
- 6-8 tablespoons cold 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 9 medium)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Add apples and toss to coat. Cover; let stand 1 hour to allow apples to release juices, stirring occasionally.
- Drain apples, reserving syrup. Place syrup and, if desired, bourbon in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and turns a medium amber color. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss drained apples with flour and salt. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 10-in. cast-iron or other deep ovenproof skillet. Trim pastry even with rim. Add apple mixture. Pour cooled syrup over top; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2 packages spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 ice cream cake cone (about 3 inches tall)
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) Pillsbury Happy Birthday Funfetti Orange All Star Vanilla Frosting
- 2 Oreo cookies
- 1 package (24 ounces) ready-to-use rolled black fondant
- Prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using two 12-cup fluted tube pans. Cool.
- Cut thin slice off bottom of each cake. Spread one cake bottom with frosting; press flat sides together to form a pumpkin shape.
- Place a ball of foil in the center of the cake to support the "stem". Top with an ice cream cone. Frost cake with frosting.
- To decorate face: Roll out fondant to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into desired shapes for mouth and nose. Remove tops from two Oreo cookies; cut out half circles in filling for eyes. Press cookies and fondant onto cake to make the face.
Carmel Apple Float
Recipe makes 2 floats
- 1 cup chilled apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chilled ginger ale
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons caramel sundae syrup
- Divide cider and ginger ale between two glasses. Top with ice cream; drizzle with caramel syrup.