Sweet Potato Chips
Total Time: About 30 min
Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 medium to large sweat potato (about 8 ounces), scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 375° F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Slice the sweet potato into very thin rounds (1/16 inch thick; use a mandolin if you have one) and place in a large bowl. Add the oil, paprika, and salt and toss with your hands until thoroughly coated.
- Place the slices in a single layer on 2 baking sheets- the rounds can be touching but should not overlap.
- Bake one sheet at a time until the edges of the chips curl up, the centers are just golden brown, and the tops are dry to the touch, about 12 minutes.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and let the chips cool until crisp, about 3 minutes. Using your hands, carefully transfer the chips to a serving dish. Repeat with the second sheet.
Click here for a delicious jalapeno-cilantro yogurt spread to accompany this snack.
Baked Kale Chips
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non- insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner.
- Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp almond (or other nut) butter
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup combination of raisins and chopped dates
- 1 tsp orange or lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 300°F. In a bowl, combine the rolled oats, seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and sea salt.
- In another bowl, stir together almond butter, maple syrup, molasses, brown rice syrup and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry, combining well.
- Transfer to parchment sheet lined baking sheet and spread out. Bake for 27-30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle in raisins/dates and zest, and let cool completely. Break up into clusters after cooling.
Honey-Mustard Snack Mix
- 7 cups plain bagel chips, broken in half
- 6 cups pretzel sticks
- 3 cups sesame sticks
- 12 tbs unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), melted
- 1 ¼ cups honey
- ¾ cup mustard powder
- 4 tsp kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Mix together bagel chips, pretzel sticks, and sesame sticks in a large bowl until evenly combined; set aside.
- Mix together butter, honey, mustard powder, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth and well combined. Pour over pretzel mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Scatter snack mix in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until toasted and browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then break into bite-size pieces.