Baked Mozzarella Bites (recipe from Cooking Light)
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 (1-ounce) sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup panko to the pan, cook for 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and place the panko in a shallow dish.
3. Cut mozzarella sticks into 1-inch pieces. Working with one piece at a time, dip cheese in egg substitute; dredge in panko. Place cheese on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is softened and thoroughly heated.
4. Pour the marinara sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring after 30 seconds. Serve with mozzarella pieces.
For additional lighter cooking tips for this recipe and more, visit Cooking Light
Baked Clams (recipe from Cooking Light)
1/2 cup dry white wine
32 littleneck clams in shells, scrubbed
1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 (1-ounce) slice French bread baguette
1 applewood-smoked bacon slice
2 teaspoons minced shallots
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1. Bring wine to a boil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add clams; cover and cook 4 minutes or until shells open. Remove clams from pan, reserving cooking liquid. Discard any unopened shells. Strain cooking liquid through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a medium bowl. Cool clams. Discard top shells. Place clams, still in bottom shell halves, in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Return reserved cooking liquid to pan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat; remove 6 tablespoons cooking liquid from pan, and reserve for another use. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons butter to cooking liquid in pan; stir until butter melts. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon cooking liquid back into each clam shell.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until fine crumbs measure about 1/2 cup. Cook bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; finely chop. Add shallots to drippings in pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan, stirring until melted.
5. Remove pan from heat; stir in breadcrumbs and bacon. Divide breadcrumb mixture evenly among clam shell halves, pressing mixture gently into shells. Broil 1 minute or until golden brown. Sprinkle with thyme
Reminder: Keep clams well chilled and use within a day of purchase. Visit Cooking Light for more healthy cooking tips on this recipe and more!