Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and tenders removed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth, or dry white wine
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Season chicken with pepper and salt on both sides.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice and adjusting the heat to prevent burning, until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Pour in vermouth (or wine); simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and chives (or scallions); return to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pan, turn to coat with sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Serving size: 3 oz. chicken & ¼ cup sauce
Per serving: 274 calories; 15 g fat(5 g sat); 1 g fiber; 5 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 19 mcg folate; 83 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 548 IU vitamin A; 4 mg vitamin C; 33 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 425 mg sodium; 403 mg potassium
Carbohydrate Servings: ½
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
Paprika Shrimp & Green Bean Sauce
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 16-ounce cans large butter beans, or cannellini beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put green beans in a steamer basket, place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, until just fragrant but not browned, about 20 seconds.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes per side. Stir in beans, vinegar and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup parsley.
Serving size: 1¼ cups shrimp & beans; 1 cup green beans
Per serving: 237 calories; 8 g fat(1 g sat); 8 g fiber; 26 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 32 mcg folate; 122 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,303 IU vitamin A; 18 mg vitamin C; 139 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 575 mg sodium; 844 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Chili-Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus & Lemon
(Courtesy of EatingWell)
- 2 pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder½ teaspoon garlic, powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound tilapia, Pacific sole or other firm white fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put asparagus in a steamer basket, place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a large plate, spreading out to cool. Combine chili powder, garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon salt on a plate. Dredge fillets in the spice mixture to coat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook until just opaque in the center, gently turning halfway, 5 to 7 minutes total. Divide among 4 plates.
- Immediately add lemon juice, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and asparagus to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the asparagus is coated and heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve the asparagus with the fish.
Per serving: 211 calories; 10 g fat(2 g sat); 4 g fiber; 8 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 93 mcg folate; 57 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 2,110 IU vitamin A; 11 mg vitamin C; 55 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 469 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Iron (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: ½
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1½ fat