Most emergency responders in the United States will initiate CPR or other life-sustaining measures unless they see a recognized DNR order for the patient. With a MedicAlert® membership, you’re able to communicate your pre-hospital Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders as part of your MedicAlert ID or on file as part of your EMIR® (Emergency Medical Information Record).
It’s important for you to consider your Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders before an emergency takes place. MedicAlert members can display their pre-hospital DNR orders on their medical IDs and store their orders in their EMIR as part of the Advantage membership, ensuring that first responders and medical professionals are aware of your wishes.
There are several things to consider before signing a DNR order.
- Discuss your care preferences and options with your physician and loved ones before completing a DNR order.
- Store your notarized forms so your designated healthcare decision maker and your healthcare provider may retrieve them if they are needed.
- Research the DNR laws in your county or state. These laws vary by region. You may find this information from your primary care physician, local hospital, or health department.
Choose a MedicAlert membership tailored to your needs:
Advantage 4 Year Enrollment
MedicAlert Services are Recommended for:
MedicAlert® membership benefits include:
- Faster treatment and care, especially in emergencies
- Reduced risk of complications or uncertainties
- Assurance of personal information security while safeguarding your life
- Reduced fear and anxiety for you and your loved ones