Football season is back in action and the games are underway! It is the time of year when we anticipate watching our favorite teams play each week. Football continues to be a favorite American sport. From recent surveys, the NFL predicts that 60% of Americans spend at least 5 hours per week watching football during the NFL season.
Whether involved in Fantasy Football, reality, or both; it is safe to say that millions of Americans will continue to tune in this season to watch their favorite teams and players compete!
MedicAlert Foundation wants you to enjoy some healthy game day snacks that can be shared with your family and friends. Enjoy these while watching football, and you will also benefit from avoiding those high fat and sodium enriched foods!
Baked Sweet Potato ‘Fries’ Recipe (recipe from eatingwell.com)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled, and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 teaspoons of powdered sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Wash and peel potatoes, cut in half length wise, and cut each half into 6 wedges
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and oil. Toss until potatoes are evenly coated
- On a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in the oven. Bake until edges are crisp and potatoes are cooked thoroughly, about 25 minutes
- Sprinkle with salt and powdered sugar and serve immediately
Extra Easy Hummus (recipe from allrecipes.com)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserve
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a blender or food processor combine garbanzo beans, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Blend on low speed, gradually adding reserved bean liquid, until desired consistency is achieved.
Serve with your favorite raw vegetables, baked crackers, or other snack of your choice.