Caribbean Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onion (1 onion)
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper (2 peppers)
- 1 whole garlic head, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, quartered
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through jalapeño); sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and 1 cup broth. Transfer vegetable mixture to a 5-quart electric slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups broth, thyme, and next 6 ingredients (through black beans). Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk. Ladle soup into bowls; top with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Crockpot Green Chicken Chile Enchilada Soup
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can white beans
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 cans (4 ounces EACH) diced fire-roasted green chiles
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) diced tomatoes optional
- 4 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro optional
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
- Pick your favorite add-ins: pepper-jack cheese, sour cream, fresh lime, additional cilantro
- In a large crockpot (I use a 6-quart crockpot) pour in the green enchilada sauce, drained and rinsed white beans, drained and rinsed black beans, and fat-trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts.
- Add the undrained diced fire-roasted green chiles, diced tomatoes (if desired, it's great with or without them), chili powder, cumin, paprika, about 1 teaspoon salt (I prefer seasoned salt), about 1/4 teaspoon pepper, coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, and chicken broth or stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-5 hours or until the chicken easily shreds.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and place in another bowl. Add softened cream cheese (cube into smaller pieces and melt in the microwave) into the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes or until the cream cheese melts completely and is easily stirred into the soup. Remove the chicken and transfer to a bowl. Briskly whisk to get the cheese completely incorporated.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and then add back into the soup.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Slow Cooker Sausage, Spinach & White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (12.8-ounce) package smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Place sausage, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, beans, oregano and bay leaves into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth and 2 cups water until well combined; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Stir in spinach until wilted.