Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 1/2 cup brown rice - 1 lb 93%-lean ground turkey
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill - 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seed - 4 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt - 6 tbsp lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup water - 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 large savory cabbage (about 3 lbs) - 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1 tbsp canola oil - ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper - 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup no-salt-added tomato sauce - t tsp honey
1. Combine rice and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer slowly until the water is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, bring a Dutch oven full of water to a boil over high heat. Remove the 12 largest outer leaves from the cabbage, place them in the boiling water, and boil for 6 minutes. Drain in a large colander set in the sink and rinse under cool water until room temperature. Chop enough of the remaining cabbage leaves to equal 2 cups. (Save the rest for another use.)
3.Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and the chopped cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Mix turkey, dill, caraway, salt, pepper, the onion mixture and cooled rice in a large bowl.
5. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Lay one cabbage leaf on your work surface; cut out the thick stem. Place about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture in the leaf's center. Fold the sides over the filling, then roll closed. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
6. Whisk tomato sauce, broth, honey and the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over the rolls. Cover tightly with foil. Follow make-ahead instructions or bake (Step 7).
7. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake the cabbage rolls for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking, basting the rolls with sauce several times, for 20 minutes more.
For additional information on this recipe, CLICK HERE
Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms
1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup flour
1 tablespoon trans-fat free margarine
10 ounces sliced mushrooms
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- Place the chicken breast in a plastic bag and pound thin with a mallet
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in skillet
- Dredge the chicken in flour and coat it on both sides. Add the chicken to the pan and saute’ 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in the pan. Add the mushrooms and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan and bring it to a boil to reduce the liquid.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and simmer 2 more minutes. Add the chicken breast back to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
Tip: Serve this over brown rice, quinoa, or another whole grain. Add a green vegetable to complete your meal.
For additional information on this recipe including nutritional facts, CLICK HERE